10 astonishing things you certainly don't know about apples
Most people eat them, most people love them. But only few of us know a lot about the fruit called apple.
Here are some facts that are probably new to you!
Did you know that...
1. Apples have a long tradition in human history. Archaeologists have found evidence that people have been eating apples since 6,500 B.C.
2. For the health-conscious: An apple only has about 80 calories, is free from cholesterol, fat and sodium; and is also a wonderful source of fiber.
So, no need to feel bad if you're craving another apple!
3. Scientists who specialize in the branch of botany concerned with fruit cultivation are called “pomologists”. The science is called “pomology” (in Latin “pomum” means fruit).
4. Most apples are still picked by hand, even to the present day. Not by robots or machines. By actual human beings.
5. Have you ever wondered why apples float? It's because they are 25% air!
There is a popular and fun game called “Apple bobbing” that relies on floating apples. Just fill a tub or a basin with water, put in some apples and try to get them out using nothing but your mouth. Simple, but so much fun!
6. When stored at room temperature, apples ripen up to 10 times faster than if they were refrigerated.
If you don't want to eat or use them any time soon, just put them somewhere cool (like the basement) or in your fridge.
7. An average apple tree produces 100 - 300 pounds of fruit per year. Apple trees live between 50 - 75 years, so you can make quite a number of apple pies from just one tree. Better start baking right now...
8. George Washington loved pruning his apple trees as a hobby. He added orchards to the outlying farms of his historic home, Mount Vernon, growing apples, pears, cherries, peaches, and apricots.
9. Apple juice was one of the first drugs to serve as antidepressants.
Well, we never feel worse after having a glass of apple juice...
10. The first American to orbit Earth was John Glenn. For his initial space flight he took squeezable tubes of pureed applesauce with him.
This guy just knew what's good!
Thanks to https://craves.everybodyshops.com/25-fascinating-facts-you-never-knew-about-apples/ for the facts!